Saturday, February 22, 2014
Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 0 Comments
Next time you're craving takeaway Indian, look no further than your own kitchen to make a butter chicken delight.
1:30 To Prep - 0:20 To Cook - INGREDIENTS 21 - DIFFICULTY CAPABLE COOKS SERVINGS 4
|Butter chicken with naan|
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 long green chilli, deseeded (optional)
- 2.5cm piece ginger, grated
- 80g unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 150ml thickened cream
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (Indian spice mix)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 cup (280g) thick Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
- 4 large naan breads
- Coriander and lemon wedges, to serve
- 800g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 4cm cubes
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 120g thick Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons good-quality tandoori paste
- 40g unsalted butter, melted
- For the tandoori chicken, toss chicken with juice and 1 teaspoon salt. Stand for 30 minutes. Add yoghurt, garlic and tandoori paste to chicken and stir to coat well, then cover and marinate in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Drain chicken. Place on a wire rack over a baking pan filled with water, brush with melted butter, then bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place tomato, chilli and ginger in a blender and whiz to a smooth paste. Melt half the butter in a pan over medium-low heat. Add ground cumin and paprika and stir for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add tomato paste and simmer, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add cream and chicken to the sauce, then stir in remaining butter until melted. Stir in garam masala, cumin seeds and salt. Stir the yoghurt, garlic, lemon juice and most of the cucumber together. Season.
- Top naan with butter chicken, yoghurt, coriander and remaining cucumber, then roll up and serve with lemon wedges.
To make this classic, start with a batch of tandoori chicken, then add a mild sauce.
Energy 4843kJ Fat saturated 37.00g Fat Total 75.00g Carbohydrate sugars 33.00g Carbohydrate Total 67.00g Dietary Fibre 7.00g Protein 52.00g Cholesterol 303.00mg Sodium 850.51mg.
All nutrition values are per serve.
delicious. - September 2010 , Page 98
Recipe by Valli Little